Domain hosting is used synonymously with web hosting that refers to hosting your website on internet servers and provide information to the targeted audience. However, the terms domain hosting and website hosting have different meanings altogether. Domain hosting refers to hosting domain names for a website while web hosting refers to hosting of a website in servers to make it available to online visitors. Although many people consider domain name hosting and website hosting to be same but one should remember that domain names can be hosted (parked) alone, even without having a proper website. One can easily notice a large number of single page websites displaying only advertisements with no content. This is known as domain name hosting. In case of website hosting, a full-fledged website is hosted. Both the hosting have different types of services that are offered by the hosting vendors and each of these types runs either on Linux based server or Windows based server as per the client’s requirements.
What is Linux and Windows hosting?
Linux hosting is one of the most preferred hosting services and attracts the website owners due to easy features and cost affordability. This is a free and open-source operating system, which is based on UNIX and is capable of running websites on web servers. Linux supports a wide variety of scripts and can run websites based on various platforms such as WordPress, PHP, Perl, HTML, Ruby on Rails, etc. Whereas, Windows hosting is a service offered by Microsoft, where a website is hosted on Microsoft windows server. It involves a software that runs websites on servers on Microsoft Windows platform. It is not necessary the computer that is used for visiting the website should have Microsoft windows installed. This is based on dynamic, graphic-based, multi-tasking web server developed by Microsoft and is capable of running scripts like ASP and .NET.
Which is the best option for web hosting and domain name hosting?
It is difficult to determine whether Linux hosting is better than Windows hosting as both comes with their own share of advantages and disadvantages. However, to get an answer to your question you should compare both the hosting types on the following parameters.
- Price: In case of website hosting price should not be a major consideration, however Linux being an open source and affordable hosting service is more preferred than Windows hosting due to lower cost and ease of use.
- Security: In terms of security, Linux is more secure, however, hosting based on Windows platform can also be secure but it all depends on the administrator.
- Performance: In terms of performance, both the website hosting services offers optimum performance when managed by an experienced administrator.
- Reliability: Linux hosting is considered to be more reliable than windows as it can run several scripts irrespective of the platform used to develop the website. Whereas in case of Windows hosting, it can run windows based scripts like ASP and .Net.
- Stability: In the beginning, when Windows hosting was a new concept, it was quite unstable but today, both are equally stable.
After comparing both the hosting types, it can be concluded that Linux is the best one for hosting both website and domain names as it is cheaper and better in terms of performance. However, if you want to run applications based on Windows, than Windows hosting is a best for your needs.